Friday, December 7, 2007

THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH, by Ken Follett.


In recent months, PILLARS OF THE EARTH has spread like word-of-mouth wildfire through my circle of family and friends. It has become one of the most talked-about and widely read books among my acquaintances...and for good reason: It's one of the best novels I've ever read.
It all started early this year when we attended a tour of Mont St. Michel in France. Near the end, the tour guide indicated that if we "really wanted to understand" the medieval mind, we should read PILLARS. I had never read any of Follett's books before, but I vaguely recalled him as some sort of espionage writer. Nevertheless, I gave PILLARS a try upon my return to the states, and was thoroughly engrossed.
Anyone who has stared with awe upon the great cathedrals of Europe such as Chartres in France has wondered how they were built, who was responsible, what drove the hearts and minds of these long-ago architectural geniuses who etched the record of their religious conviction literally into stone. PILARS OF THE EARTH brings the era to life, in the decades-spanning tale of the creation of (fictional?) Kingsbridge Cathedral. The characters are real people; full of passions, triumph and tragedy, and their world is as real as if we were breathing their same air.
Any criticism one could air about this book would be a mere quibble compared to the narratives power to entertain, inform, and bring a lost world back into existence. Trust me, you'll always remember PILLARS OF THE EARTH. (After reading it, I've gone on to discover other Follett novels...they've all been wonderful).

No comments: